If only Lane County citizens would pass that tax increase…
Eugene (KMTR) – The Lane County budget committee released its backup plan Tuesday if federal timber payments are not renewed, and it doesn’t look good.
The list of proposed budget cuts is long and nearly 13% of the county’s workforce would be let go if the budget is adopted.
The biggest cuts would be in the public safety department with massive layoffs at the Sheriff’s Office. One third of its workers would be let go. That means fewer arrests will be made and the District Attorney will have to pursue fewer criminal cases.
So it’s come to this. Inaction and refusal to implement a hiring freeze by Lane County Commissioners (continuing to hire in non public-safety areas) mandates layoffs in sheriff and other public safety areas (and for some reason the largest cuts). Sleep well, Lane County citizens, at least Lane County continues to hire new management and other non public-safety jobs while slashing sheriff operations.
See for yourself the hiring binge at http://www.co.lane.or.us/jobs/
Are these your priorities over public safety? How much money could be saved by leaving some of these jobs unfilled and using the money for public safety? Why do Lane County Commissioners continue to hire management and other non public-safety positions while slashing public safety? Why do Lane County Commissioners refuse to implement a hiring freeze? Even a fraction of these jobs if left unfilled could save many sheriff jobs without layoffs.
We frequently hear from proponents of higher taxes how complex the situation is, and how County Commissioners can’t really do anything to solve the budget crisis (except whine about more taxes). County Commissioners job is to prioritize County services to citizen’s wants — and public safety is #1. But instead they’ll slash public safety, while continued hiring in other areas (like the hiring last May/June of a “Nuisance Abatement Specialist”, or the approximately $350,000 in management/director/supervisor hires in March 2008 [see below]) makes the budget situation worse.
Coming soon to a ballot near you — another tax increase proposal (after all, they’ve got to pay all these new hires somehow) — it could be another income tax, a “tax surcharge”, or perhaps increases in property taxes, a new sales tax, or some other new tax proposal. We’ll predict you’ll see a new tax idea, if not in November this year, at a special election early in 2009. Of course, the hiring will continue no matter what — if they have to layoff the entire Sheriff’s department to pay for it, they’ll do it.
Here’s what we’ve documented since the “budget crisis” began. Ask yourself how many sheriffs will be off the street to pay for all these new hires.
April 22 2008
- 208-062 EMPLOYMENT SPECIALIST 1 Salary: $32,365 – $44,824
- 208-067 FAMILY MEDIATOR Salary: $17.61 – $24.40 / hour
- 208-058 INFORMATION SERVICES ANALYST Salary: $42,474 – $58,802/annually
- 208-059 SENIOR PLANNER Salary: $44,616 – $61,797 annually
- 208-064 ADMINISTRATIVE ASSISTANT Salary: $15.95 – $22.10/hourly
- 208-053 ASSOCIATE SURVEYOR Salary: $42,266 – $58,594 annually
Mar 27 2008
- 207-142 PSYCHIATRIST – .5 FTE (20 hours) $52,644.80-$73,008.00
- 208-054 ENGINEERING ASSOCIATE (Working Title: Utility Coordinator ) $40,227 – 55,765
- 907-021 Extra Help – On-Call Juvenile Cook $10.22/hour
- 208-047 Kennel Attendant $10.22 – $14.16/hour
- 208-048 PLANNER $37,544 – $52,042
- 207-136 SENIOR SYSTEM NETWORK ANALYST $49,254-$68,203
- 208-023 Sr. Programmer & Systems Analyst $49,254 – $68,203
- 208-045 YOUTH SERVICES EMPLOYMENT PROGRAM SUPERVISOR (Official Title: PROGRAM SUPERVISOR) $53,144 – $79,726
Mar 13 2008
- 207-121 MENTAL HEALTH MEDICAL OFFICER (Official Title: MANAGER) Salary: $122,117-$169,312/annually
- 208-033 PUBLIC WORKS DIRECTOR (Official Title: DEPARTMENT DIRECTOR) Salary: $78,978 – $118,477 annually
- 208-009 Sr. System Network Analyst (Working Title: PROJECT MANAGER) Salary: $49,254-$68,203/annually
- 208-045 YOUTH SERVICES EMPLOYMENT PROGRAM SUPERVISOR (Official Title: PROGRAM SUPERVISOR) Salary: $53,144 – $79,726 annually
Feb 6 2008
- 208-014 DESIGN ENGINEER OR DESIGN ENGINEERING SUPERVISOR $56,680 – $85,030 annually
- 207-121 MENTAL HEALTH MEDICAL OFFICER (Official Title: MANAGER) $122,117-$169,312/annually
- 208-007 Program Manager $62,005-$92,997/annually
- 208-009 Sr. System Network Analyst (Working Title: PROJECT MANAGER) $49,254-$68,203/annually
July 11 2007
- 207-025 LAND MANAGEMENT MANAGER $67,304 – $100,956
- 207-068 MANAGER (Working Title:Project Management Office Manager) $64,353 – $96,530
- 207-039 SENIOR PLANS EXAMINER $19.92 – $27.59/hour
- 207-055 ADMINISTRATIVE ANALYST
- 207-053 ADMINISTRATIVE ASSISTANT
- 207-057 EXECUTIVE ASSISTANT TO THE DIRECTOR OF YOUTH SERVICES
- 907-007 EXTRA HELP – Clerical
- 207-029 NUISANCE ABATEMENT SPECIALIST
June 12 2007
- 207-021 BUILDING PROGRAM MANAGER. Filled May 25, 2007.
- 207-016 Performance Development & Diversity Coordinator. Filled May 30, 2007.
- 207-025 LAND MANAGEMENT MANAGER. Currently conducting interviews.
- 207-029 NUISANCE ABATEMENT SPECIALIST. Filled May 25, 2007.
- 207-024 PROPERTY APPRAISER 3. Conducting interviews.
May 31, 2007
- 207-044 CLINICAL SERVICES SUPERVISOR ($25-$33/hour)
- 207-037 MHO CARE COORDINATION SPECIALIST ($19-$27/hour)
- 207-040 PHYSICIAN ($90,000 – $125,000 /year)
- 3 Network Programmers/analysts ($50,000 – $68,000 / year)
- 206-146 ASSISTANT COUNTY COUNSEL (not just one, but two!)
- And our personal favorite: 207-029 NUISANCE ABATEMENT SPECIALIST